While photographing one of my sculptures, I decided to take some photos on my phone that I could quickly upload to Instagram. I realised after taking my set-up down that one of the pictures had glitched, which was completely out of my control and, at the time, rather annoying. I ended up keeping the image because I like the sunset-like colours it produced and the contrast of the intended monochrome picture to the intensely colourful glitch.
This digital photograph was accidentally taken of a painters worktop. Initially I was photographing acrylic, oil and watercolour works for research purposes, while chatting with the artist and this photo seemed to appear by chance in my photo gallery.
The image features remnants of acrylic and oil paint that are left behind from paintings that have come and gone throughout the years. Leftover colours are forever eroding and disappearing amongst themselves and the surface of the table.
This series of images (of which there are more) were created whilst I was scanning in a postcard. The photocopier was unknowingly set to zoom x400, which produced these interesting images. The photocopier also chose which section of the image to select and enlarge, as well as its orientation.
The images start off recognisable, yet pixelated due to printing techniques at the time. I found the results interesting and continued scanning the print outs of the previous. Through this experimental process they become more and more distorted and abstract. I really like how far I have taken this, relatively old, found object and the chances of modern technology have played their part.
Experimental images working with a spiritual theme capturing natural sun light pouring through the trees. The element of surprise is an important aspect of my photography.
This was meant to be a clear image of the lantern used in the iconic painting,”Light of The World”. As I was taking the photo my camera slipped and the outcome was a rather abstract composition which was not useful to my studies and therefore discarded. I recently found the printed photo and decided to keep it as reminder of an interesting failure!
In a way I had a little contribution to the creation of these errors, my laziness gets the better of me. As I primarily use photographic film I am constantly using scanners to get digital copies of the images for my social media and website.
With these scanners, when you insert a strip of 6 x 35mm stills it brings up thumbnails for which you choose from and with nearly every roll of film there is a small section of un-developed or developed strangely which I do not un-select for scanning. therefore I am always left with handfuls of these unusual, Rothko-esque images.
I wasn’t aiming for blur (and it’s me moving, settings were fast enough to freeze movement) but this shoot was full of much hilarity I was laughing so hard that during this shot I just lost it and this is the result. However I’m really glad I didn’t delete it as it turned out to be of my favourite images from the shoot.
My Nokia Lumia 1020 is prone to excessive lens flare. Whilst waiting for a bus I decided to take a photograph with as much lens flare as possible, I call the resulting image ‘lens petals’.
I shoot my work as an artist and not always with the best camera . Not a photographer.
Both of these were from shooting work, one is almost transparent not a clue how that happened. It’s a green and white ghost. The other image is from getting the edge of the paper in focus but not the object.